Don't be fooled, although this list might look organized, these thoughts/notes/personal challenges are disgustingly random.. This list is really for me to look back on at the end of this year and see if I did the things I wanted to. Putting it on the Internet just holds me a little more accountable than a note I'll lose track of in my phone within 7 hours. So, sorry it's not exactly for you but you can keep reading if you want an inside look at what goes on in my head. Good luck.
Explore my fears
In 2016, I felt very controlling over myself and my art. As if when I started doing well, I didn't want to do anything to ruin or mess that up. No experimenting, trying to be more creative but simultaneous holding myself to a certain level. In the past few months I've experimented a lot with abstractions and different techniques. But before then it was almost like saying "ew no I hate ______" to a food you've never tried. I think I was more scared that I would try it, and that I would like it. Because naturally everybody is scared of things they don't know about. But I said fuck it. In 2017 I'm probably going to be using so many different techniques I could start using an alias. Or two.
Not more hours in the day, just more paintings. Like a lot more. This kinda ties along with the fear part. My usual pieces take me around 5-10 days. Because of the level of detail and attention I give to a painting, it can be mentally draining. And I have the attention span of a puppy so Things start to get old very quickly. I'm usually working on a maximum of two paintings at a time. Usually just one. That has to change. It's not about making more money. It's just about making more art in general. That sounds cliche as hell but seriously just making 2x the work I did in 2016 might satisfy this hunger. I want to clamp 10 canvases together and sell them individually. Maybe do a series of 25 12x12" paintings. I really just want to complete more things. If you're an artist, you know the feeling you get when something is finished is what makes everything worthwhile. My job title is artist, so hopefully that gives me a pass to do whatever I want.
Create a name.
I don't mean this in the sense of becoming a celebrity. I just think building a certain genuine reputation helps a lot with art. I think this generation is somewhat lacking when it comes to interest in art and being someone heavily involved in helping that interest grow is only done when a lot people know you/your work. I'm also a strong believer in the true success of an artist depends on how their work and influence lasts after they're done painting/dead. Which isn't fun to think about but it's a fact. I plan on having a lot more shows, taking on more big projects and hopefully people will take a liking and appreciate my work! And if they don't, who cares? :)
Learn from my past mistakes (and make a shit ton of new ones).
"Why would you want to make mistakes?" If you're making (honest) mistakes, it means you're trying. It means you're testing yourself and you're willing to learn. Although I've been fairly cautious of what I've done in the last year, I'm still self taught so I'm always learning. Always making mistakes. But learning how to fix them really a practice that will put you ahead of everyone else. Being willing to fail will bring you success. Being scared will keep you in the same place. Im sure 60% of the projects I'll work on this year will end up in the trash but I guarantee you the other 40% will be my best work yet.
If you're still reading this by now, you're pretty cool (and also just a tad weird because I've basically been talking to myself). This isn't really a New Years resolution. I actually fucking hate New Years resolutions. I'm sorry but If you have to wait till January 1st to start changing your life, you have the wrong mindset. If you want to change something you start ASAP. But hopefully you can take something from all of this. Im excited for this new year and to have your support throughout it.